Monday, February 21, 2011

Me-Time Monday: Style File, "Flight of Fancy"

by Jena Sanders

An excerpt of Flannery O'Connors using her words to describe the beautiful majesty that is the Peacock.

"The cock stopped suddenly and curving his neck backwards, he raised his tail and spread it with a shimmering timbrous noise. Tiers of small pregnant suns floated in a green-gold haze over his head. The priest stood transfixed, his jaw slack.... “Christ will come like that!"

Peacock, Turquoise Magnesite and Suede
My own love of the peacock's beauty grew when I drew a portrait, for my sister-in-law Mercy, of a peacock with its tail fully expanded.  Such a magnificent creature! 

For Southern Joy Jewelry's Spring 2011 line, the peacock feathers and colours are my muse.
In addition to the peacock feathers, I am incorporating other bird-esque components.  Spring Peeps wine glass charms, Turquoise Magnesite (known for its calming properties and known to aid in visualization and creative imagination) will become necklaces juxtaposed with warm, earth toned brass bird/nest pendants.
Fanciful Flight.

All different types of feathers make for light fashion, especially as earrings.  Inspired by Gwenyth Paltrow's pretty pink feather earrings in her performance at the Grammys, my sister, Jill came to me with the idea of creating our own feather earrings.


Fashionable feathers, neutral and bright, fun earrings will make.

Me, modeling my peacock feather earrings.



Lastly, I enjoyed making this Larait necklace with Malachite (known to help absorb negative energies by clearing electromagnetic radiation and creates harmony and balance in the body) clear swarovski crystals, feathers and camel coloured suede.  Great movement, a little native americany.



Complete Spring 2011, "Flight of Fancy" coming soon!  Stay tuned by becoming a fan of Southern Joy on Facebook and sign up for SoJoy's newsletter @ www.southernjoyonline.com for well-being information and exclusive offers.


1 comment:

  1. I'm ordering a pair on line. I want to be a leader in a new trend. Thanks, I love the look!

    ReplyDelete